Friday, January 16, 2009

Thing 2

The third time is the charm, so they say. This is my third attempt to post this in the right place. Being semi-retired and remembering those beautiful oak card files, I have slowly adjusted to computers and other new gadgets. I didn't get a cell phone until last year.
I think that Web 1.0 and Library 1.0 are what we are doing now in the library. I naively assumed that libraries were already coordinating efforts to share software, technical stuff,etc. I hadn't thought about the software developers being unwilling to allow different entities to share although it makes good business sense. I'm glad there are people out ther trying to set this up since the way are doing business now in the libraries will soon go the way of those wonderful oak boxes. Although all those neat things the tweens, teens and "millenials" are doing now are fascinating, they still scare me. However, this is the 21st century so I guess I'll give it a try.
The main problem I had in researching these topics was the use of acronyms in the articles with no translation into English. Fortunately, Google and Wikipedia (and their "ilk" as one poster put it) were willing to explain those cute little capital letters to me.
There is an ancient Chinese curse that says, "May you live in interesting time." This has indeed been interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment